- : That part of the body that contains all of the structures between the chest and the pelvis. Also called the abdomen. The belly (or abdomen) is separated anatomically from the chest by the diaphragm, the powerful muscle spanning the body cavity below the lungs. The belly contains a host of organs including the stomach, small intestine, colon, rectum, liver, spleen, pancreas, kidneys, appendix, gallbladder, and bladder. The word "abdomen" has a curious story behind it. It comes from the Latin "abdodere", to hide. The idea was that whatever was eaten was hidden in the abdomen.
* * *1. The abdomen. 2. The wide swelling part of a muscle. SYN: venter (2) [TA]. 3. Popularly, the stomach or womb. [O.E. belig, bag]- anterior b. of digastric muscle [TA] the portion of the digastric muscle that extends anteriorly from the intermediate tendon, and attaches to the posterior aspect of the mandible. SYN: venter anterior musculi digastrici [TA].- frontal b. of occipitofrontalis muscle [TA] the anterior b. of the occipitofrontalis muscle. See occipitofrontalis (muscle). SYN: venter frontalis musculi occipitofrontalis [TA], frontalis muscle.- inferior b. of omohyoid muscle [TA] the inferior b. of the omohyoid muscle, attached to the superior border of the scapula. SYN: venter inferior musculi omohyoidei [TA].- occipital b. of occipitofrontalis muscle [TA] the posterior b. of the occipitofrontalis muscle. See occipitofrontalis (muscle). SYN: venter occipitalis musculi occipitofrontalis [TA], occipitalis muscle.- posterior b. of digastric muscle [TA] portion of digastric muscle posterior to the intermediate tendon, attaching to the digastric groove of the temporal bone. SYN: venter posterior musculi digastrici [TA].- superior b. of omohyoid muscle [TA] the superior b. of the omohyoid muscle, attached to the hyoid bone. SYN: venter superior musculi omohyoidei [TA].
* * *1 a) ABDOMEN (1a)b) the undersurface of an animal's bodyc) WOMB, UTERUSd) the stomach and its adjuncts2) the enlarged fleshy body of a muscle
* * *n.1. the abdomen or abdominal cavity.2. the central fleshy portion of a muscle.
* * *bel·ly (belґe) 1. abdomen. 2. the fleshy contractile part of a muscle (venter [TA]).
Belly of biceps brachii muscle.
Medical dictionary. 2011.