- Wartlike growths around the anus, vulva, or glans penis. There are three major types of condyloma, each of which is sexually transmitted. These include condyloma acuminatum or genital warts, condyloma latum (a form of secondary syphilis), and condyloma subcutaneum or molluscum contagiosum. The word "condyloma" comes from the Greek "kondylos" meaning a knuckle or knob. The same Greek root gave rise to the word "condyle" referring to a rounded articular surface of a bone as, for example, the lateral condyle of the tibia (the rounded bony prominence on the outside of the ankle).
* * *- c. acuminatum a contagious projecting warty growth on the external genitals or at the anus, consisting of fibrous overgrowths covered by thickened epithelium showing koilocytosis, due to sexual contact with infection by human papilloma virus; it is usually benign, although malignant change has been reported, associated with particular types of the virus. SYN: genital wart, venereal wart.- flat c. 1. SYN: c. latum. 2. a c. of the uterine cervix or other site caused by human papilloma virus infection and characterized histologically by koilocytosis without papillomatosis.- giant c. a large type of c. acuminatum found in the anus, vulva, or preputial sac of the penis of middle-aged, uncircumcised men; it tends to extend deeply and recur. SEE ALSO: verrucous carcinoma.- c. latum a secondary syphilitic eruption of flat-topped papules, occurring in groups covered by a necrotic layer of epithelial detritus, and secreting a seropurulent fluid; they are found at the anus and wherever contiguous folds of skin produce heat and moisture. SYN: flat c. (1), moist papule, mucous papule.
* * *con·dy·lo·ma·tous -mət-əs adj
* * *n. (pl. condylomata)a raised wartlike growth. Condylomata accuminata (sing. condyloma acuminatum) are warts caused by human papillomavirus and are found on the vulva, under the foreskin, or on the skin of the anal region. They may be treated with podophyllin or trichloracetic acid; patients should be checked for the presence of other sexually transmitted diseases. Condylomata lata (sing. condyloma latum) are flat plaques found in the secondary stage of syphilis, occurring in the anogenital region.
* * *con·dy·lo·ma (kon″də-loґmə) pl. condylomas or condyloґmata [Gr. kondylōma, knuckle or knob] 1. a warty growth on the skin or a mucous membrane. 2. c. acuminatum.
Medical dictionary. 2011.