- : A form of bone cancer that usually starts in the lower spinal column.
* * *A rare neoplasm of skeletal tissue in adults, derived from persistent portions of the notochord; composed of cells arranged in lobules, with abundant myxoid stroma; some cells contain vacuoles that resemble soap bubbles (physaliphorous cells); most frequently in region clivus or lumbar-sacral cord. [(noto)chord + G. -oma, tumor]
* * *chor·do·ma kȯr-'dō-mə n, pl -mas also -ma·ta -mət-ə a malignant tumor that is derived from remnants of the embryonic notochord and occurs along the spine attacking esp. the bones at the base of the skull or near the coccyx
* * *n.a rare tumour arising from remnants of the embryologic notochord. The classical sites are the base of skull and the region of the sacrum.
* * *chor·do·ma (kor-doґmə) [chord- + -oma] a malignant tumor arising from the embryonic remains of the notochord, usually along the sella or in the sacrococcygeal region; called also chordocarcinoma and chordoepithelioma. Cf. ecchondrosis physaliphora.
Medical dictionary. 2011.