An instrument for smoothing and polishing the surface or edge of a dental restoration. [O.F. burnir, to polish]

* * *

bur·nish·er (burґnish-ər) a dental instrument with a blade or nib with a beveled edge used for smoothing out roughness at the margin of a restoration and the enamel.

Medical dictionary. 2011.

Нужно решить контрольную?

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Burnisher — Bur nish*er, n. 1. One who burnishes. [1913 Webster] 2. A tool with a hard, smooth, rounded end or surface, as of steel, ivory, or agate, used in smoothing or polishing by rubbing. It has a variety of forms adapted to special uses. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • burnisher — burnish ► VERB ▪ polish by rubbing. ► NOUN ▪ the shine on a polished surface. DERIVATIVES burnisher noun. ORIGIN Old French brunir make brown , from brun brown …   English terms dictionary

  • burnisher — shə(r) noun ( s) 1. : a worker employed in burnishing a shoe burnisher 2. : a tool, variously shaped, with a hard smooth rounded end or surface (as of steel, ivory, or agate) used in smoothing, polishing, turning an edge, or other manipulation by …   Useful english dictionary

  • burnisher — noun see burnish I …   New Collegiate Dictionary

  • burnisher — /berr ni sheuhr/, n. 1. a person who burnishes. 2. a tool, usually with a smooth, slightly convex head, used for polishing, as in dentistry. [1400 50; late ME burnessher. See BURNISH, ER2] * * * …   Universalium

  • burnisher — noun A tool used to burnish, for making smooth and shiny by rubbing …   Wiktionary

  • Burnisher — Полировщик; Инструмент для полирования; Резец для корректировки (клише) …   Краткий толковый словарь по полиграфии

  • burnisher — bur·nish·er || bɜːnəʃə n. polisher, shiner …   English contemporary dictionary

  • burnisher —    A tool with a hard smooth rounded surface used for smoothing and polishing, in metal work, ceramics and gilding. Burnishers are typically metal or stone. Typical of contemporary burnishers is the example illustrated here, see thumbnail to… …   Glossary of Art Terms

  • burnisher — bur·nish·er …   English syllables

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”