- : One of the familiar stiff hairs that project from the margin of the eyelid. Eyelashes tend to be noticed mainly when something goes wrong with them. An eyelash gets in your eye and irritates it; you have an ingrown eyelash; your eyelashes fall out, etc.
* * *- ectopic e. the condition in which the eyelashes grow from the eyelid at a site other than the lid margin. SYN: canities poliosis.- piebald e. an isolated bundle of white eyelashes among normally pigmented eyelashes. SYN: canities circumscripta, ciliary poliosis.
* * *eye·lash 'ī-.lash n1) the fringe of hair edging the eyelid usu. used in pl.2) a single hair of the eyelashes
* * *n.one of the long stiff hairs that form a row projecting outwards from the front edge of the upper and lower eyelids. The eyelashes help keep dust away from the eye. Anatomical name: cilium.
* * *eye·lash (iґlash) one of the hairs growing at the edge of an eyelid; collectively called cilia.
Medical dictionary. 2011.